The rugged, long-lasting properties of metal signs combined with their low cost make them ideal for a wide variety of outdoor applications.
Metal signs offer classic style and unmatched durability. We offer a variety of materials for your informative and sturdy signs, including Aluminum, Alumalite, and Dibond.
We can custom cut metal signs into any shape and size. If you want a sign that looks like a pie 15 feet high, we can do it.
We can print anything you want on your sign. If you would like a life-size photo of yourself on a metal sign, we can do that too.
Recreating the style of vintage metal signs is a great way to showcase a modern brand in an unusual way. Evoke nostalgic feelings by decorating your home or office with retro style ad signs!
Need to attract attention?
- Display Your Message All Year Long with Weather-Resistant Metal Signs
- Express Yourself with Signs Cut in Custom Shapes and Featuring Any Design
- Impress Customers with Signs in Any Size
- Increase Visibility Using Reflective Signage
Promote yourself with professional business signs tailored to your needs.
Give an unforgettable personalized gift by customizing a sign with family photos and a sweet saying or a funny joke.
Feel free to contact us about any sign you're considering no matter how unusual. We love special requests!
Wondering When and Where to Use Metal Signs?
Everywhere! Custom metal signs are strong, light-weight and among the most durable of all sign materials.
You'll find aluminum, alumalite, ARMOUR-wood, and dibond signs all over the place used in many ways. With digital printing it can be hard to tell if you are looking at a metal sign or not. Keep your eyes peeled!
Signs in use all around you:
- Real Estate
- New Business
- POP Displays
- Safety Signs
- Parking Lots
- Exterior Walls
- Street Signs
Your options for Metal Signs
- Aluminum: A solid metal sign material with a baked on enamel finish. Aluminum signs are extremely durable in high traffic, wet and heavy equipment areas. Available in three grades from standard .040" gauge for real estate yard signs to medium duty, .063" gauge to heavy duty, .080" thickness material.
- Alumalite: is a corrugated plastic sign material that is re-enforced on both sides with rigid aluminum sign panels. Alumalite is a little easier to handle and install than the thicker, heavier ARMOUR-Wood signs. It does not have quite as much panel strength as ARMOUR-Wood, but is still a highly durable product.
- Dibond: is a solid plastic sign that is re-enforced on both sides with rigid aluminum sign panels. Dibond is a lighter weight rigid sign panel ideally suited for wall mounted signs, smaller post mounted signs and hanging signs. Dibond is more rigid than regular aluminum signs, and is slightly less rigid than Alumalite. When you are looking for a product that is substantially stiffer than a standard gauge metal sign, Dibond is a solid choice.
- ARMOUR-Wood: has significantly greater panel strength over traditional sign materials because the outer, metal armor shell, is reinforced with a solid wooden core. This innovative combination of metal & wood makes Armour-Wood one of the strongest sign panels available.
- We can get just about any metal you could want, but those are the most common. If you are in need of something else, just give us a call, and we'd be happy to help you with your specialized material.
Big or Small, We Do It All!
- While most sign companies are setting limits to what size your sign can be, we are printing Metal Signs in every size.
- Metal Signage comes in sizes up to 6' x 20' in a single, seamless sheet (Note: Metal signage larger than 5’ X 10’ must have a thickness gauge of at least .125 inches).
- This is the largest, most rigid, seamless panel available in the market today.
- If you need a sign that is larger than that, no worries! Just let us know, and we'll make sure to get you any size metal sign you need.
- The most popular sizes available for custom Metal Signs are as follows:
- 10" x 12"
- 12" x 18"
- 18" x 24"
- 24" x 36"
- 36" x 72"
- 48" x 96"
- 48" x 120"
Available Design Options:
- PMS Color Match
- Brushed Silver Finish
- Brushed Gold Finish
- Mirror Finish
- Dry Erase Laminate
- Custom Hole Placement
- Custom Shapes
- Rounded Corners
- Reflective Colors
- Trim Cap
Sometimes, all you want is the bottom line!
Our online pricing tool instantly calculates the exact prices on Metal Signs. Simply click that link to get started.
At TheSignChef.com, shipping for all indoor and outdoor Signs over $125 is free for orders within the continental US.
Orders outside the state of South Carolina are tax-free!
We do offer quantity breaks at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 50, 100, 250, 500, 1000, 2500 and 5000.
We offer more colors for Metal Signs than anyone out there on the web!
- You can now choose from ANY color under the sun when designing your new signage.
- You can even choose a reflective color.
- PMS Color Match available on most materials.
We custom cut more shapes than any other sign company!
- TheSignChef.com will cut your Metal Sign to ANY custom shape.
- Pictured below are a few custom sign shapes, if you need a more unique shape, let us know.
Displaying Metal Signage is easy!
- We offer installation kits and accessories that will help you mount your new sign to wood, metal, stucco, brick masonry or concrete!
- We offer a large variety of scroll brackets for hanging your new custom sign.
- We can drill holes to the top of your sign to simplify the hanging process.
- Selection of screw caps are available for a finished polished look.
- We carry one of the largest selections of standoffs for a clean, contemporary, corporate look.
- Adhesive backing available on small and lighweight signage.
To learn more about some of our most popular metal sign choices, click the links below:AluminumAlumaliteDibondArmour-Wood
The Sign Chef Video Library
At TheSignChef.com our goal is to make designing, installing, and caring for your metal sign a great experience. This is why we put together videos that will help you to choose and maximize your sign use. In the series, we include information ranging from metal sign art options, to size selection tips that save you money. If you have any questions not addressed in our videos, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-899-6272.
Metal Signs Up Close
What Size Can My Metal Sign Be?
How Thick Should Your Metal Sign Be?
Have Another Question? Here are some of our Frequently Asked Questions
One of the most common sizes is 18” height x 24” width - particularly for real estate and construction site signs. We also stock sign frames which accommodate a 24” height x 18” width panel as well.
Keep in mind metal sheeting can be easily cut to any “odd” size to meet your individual needs. Odd size pricing just uses the next standard size up.
Other popular sizes include:
- 2’ height x 3’ width
- 3’ height x 2’ width
- 2’ height x 4’ width
The sizes above can also fit into a sturdy angle iron step stake for a convenient and portable display. If you are in an area which has high winds, you should strongly consider upgrading the thickness of the sign.
The thicker the metal, the less likely the sign panel will buckle or be ripped from the bolts which attach the sign panel to the sign frame. Increasing the thickness from a standard .040” to a medium duty .063” or extra heavy duty .080” gauge metal will enhance the durability of your custom signs. Generally, the larger size sign you want, the thicker the metal material needs to be.
For exterior custom metal signs, you can use .040" for sizes up to 18" x 24". Some people use this thinner .040" thickness all the way up in size to 2' x 3', but we don't recommend it. For sizes over 18" x 24", we recommend at least .063" thickness.
For larger hanging signs like 2' x 4', 3' x 3' or 3' x 4', .080" gauge metal works best.
For signs mounted to a building, you can use .040" gauge aluminum for signs up to 2' x 4' in size. Technically, you can use .040" gauge aluminum for sizes all the way up to 4' x 10' provided you mount the metal flat against the a wall with enough screws.
The larger the sign panel size though, the greater the tendency to bend. As a result, a large thin gauge metal sign can have a wavy or rippled appearance when installed, especially on a corrugated metal building.
When you want a bigger building sign, we recommend increasingly thicker gauges of aluminum with the optimum heavy duty thickness being .080" gauge aluminum. The next thickness down is .063" medium duty thickness. On smaller size signs (up to 2' x 4') even a modest increase to .063" gauge aluminum substantially increases the stiffness, appearance and rigidity of the metal sign panel.
When in doubt, it’s better to go too thick than too thin - the heaviest .080" gauge metal we stock is still less than 1/8" thick!
While you can install larger aluminum signs (for example, 6', 8' or 10' long aluminum signs) on or between posts, you have better options to choose from:
- (Sometimes called Aluma-Wood) is the strongest and most rigid exterior grade sign panel available with it’s dense, ½ inch thick solid wood core
- (½” thickness) has almost the same sign panel strength as ARMOUR-Wood making it a popular choice for larger signs. ½” Alumalite is the 2nd strongest sign material
- (¼” thickness) is still a strong, highly rigid sign background material and has the 3rd highest panel strength
- (Sometimes called Aluma-Plastic) sign panels have 10 times more strength than .040” aluminum sheets. Dibond is not quite as stiff as Alumalite, but is still considered a rigid sign material making it #4 in strength
On a scale of 1 to 10, with “10” having the highest relative strength, here’s how each metal background material ranks:
The metal material itself will usually outlast the artwork on your sign. Our uncoated Economy Grade Signs are rated for at least 3 years outdoors while our Premium Grade Signs coated with an optically clear, UV Protective Lamination are rated for a minimum of 5-8 Years outdoors. Metal signs can last for decades indoors.
Are you concerned that your sign may not turn out how you expected?
Since we are located in North Charleston, SC we may be hundreds of miles from you but with the benefits of technology we can send and receive proofs instantly.
Upon order approval, here’s how the process works:
- First, your order goes straight to the Art Department
- Our Graphic Designer will then e-mail you a proof
(a “proof” is a picture of what your sign will look like)
- Once you review the layout, let us know if you would like to see any changes, and …
- If you have any changes, we will e-mail you proofs as needed until you’re completely happy with your design.
Yes! Every metal sign order comes with a 100% Buyer Protection Guarantee
Sometimes, we make mistakes. We are only human after all. But it's how a business handles mistakes that counts, wouldn't you agree? So if we do happen to overlook something on your order, we will bend over backwards to make you happy. We stand behind our work with a 100% Customer Satisfaction Guarantee.
We will promptly replace any product that is defective in workmanship or that is different from what you approved. And for your trouble, you'll even get a very pleasant surprise gift.